In this lecture, you will learn about olets, which is self-reinforced branch connection.
There are two ways for branching from the run pipe.
- 1st is a pipe to pipe branching. Either with reinforcement pad or with the help of standard tee. When we make opening in the pipe for the pipe to pipe branching without using TEE, it will weaken the pipe. To avoid this, additional reinforcement pad is welded to the pipe, this type of branch connection is fabricated at the site.
- In the second method, instead of additional reinforcement pad, you used a heavier specially designed branch that works as a Self-reinforced branch.
- This Specially design branch connection is known as “Olets.” A Company called Bonney Forge has pioneered this concept and olet is their registered trademark.
- Whenever branch connections are required in size where reducing tees are not available and/or when the branch connections are of smaller size as compared to header size, Olets are generally used.
- Self-reinforced branches (Olets) are designed as per Process Piping Code ASME B31.3
- Other standard available is MSS SP-97 that is Manufacturers Standardization Society
- Most commonly used olets are;
- Weldolet is 90° branch connection
- It Comes in full size or reducing size (Full size is when you take branch of the same size as run pipe size for example 3 inch to 3 inch. And reducing size is when branch size is less than run pipe size 3 inch to 1 inch)
- Weldolet’s end is suited for the butt welding connection.
- Sockolet is same as weldolet but with socket end.
- It is 90° branch connection
- Comes in full size or reducing size
- End connection is suited for socket welding
- Thredolet is 90° branch connection comes with threaded end connection
- It also Comes in full size or reducing size
- End connection is suited for threaded joint
- Elbolet is a special type of olets which fits on elbow surface. It is 90° branch connection and comes in different types of ends that suit for butt welding, socket welding and threaded joint
- Nipolet is weldolet with extended pipe body. As you can see in the image
- It is 90° branch connection and comes in different types of ends that suit for butt welding, socket welding or threaded joint
- There are some special olets also used in piping such as
- Latrolet that is used for taking branch which is not at 90 degrees to run pipe.
- Latrolet comes in a 45°or any other special degree as required by purchaser
- End connections of a Latrolet can be butt welded, socket welded or threaded.
- Sweepolet is used for large size branch connection.
- It provides smooth flow transition from run pipe to branch pipe.
- Sweepolet is used in piping header and pressure vessel when smooth flow transition is necessary and standard tee cannot be used.
Weldolet, Sockolet, Thredolet, Elbolet, Nipolet, Latrolet, Sweepolet and Coupolet